FIND YOUR NEXT HOME by...
Porter, TX is an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Texas within the Greater Houston metropolitan area. Schools in Porter are operated by the New Caney Independent School District.
Porter was founded in 1878 when railroad tracks were laid for what was to become known as the Houston East-West Transportation Company or simply The "HEW." HEW was an approiate title as the local citizens called it the "Hell Either Way Railroad." The tracks were bought later by Southern Pacific then Union Pacific. The tracks ran from Houston, Texas to Texarkana, Texas.
James H. Porter came from Missouri to operate the switch for the HEW. Mr. Porter established a sawmill in 1880 and the area became known as "Porters Mill." The sawmill was located in the approximate area known as the Porterwood Shopping Center (Between US Hwy 59 and FM 1314). A post office was established here in 1892 and the Postal Authorities established the name as "Porters." However by 1892 Mr. James H. Porter sold the Mill, and departed to Graham, Texas where he built a Saddle Shop known as "Porter & Son."
Later the Post Office dropped the "s" and the area was known as Porter. Porter was the county seat for Montgomery County from 1896 to 1915 until a mandate by Federal Authorities stated all counties seats needed to be located in the center of a county so all residents could have equal access.
By 1914 the population of Porters was 150, and the town had two general stores, a lumber company, and a livestock breeder. Porter by 1940 had four businesses and a population estimated at 100, rising to 150 by the early 1940s. In the 1960s the town was apparently brought into the suburban orbit of Houston. By 1965 the Porter schools had been incorporated into the New Caney Independent School District. In 1980, its population estimated 8,000. The town reported more than 100 businesses by 1989.
Porter, Texas Tax Information
- New Caney ISD: $1.415
- Montgomery County: $0.489
- College/Emergency/Hospital: $0.292
- Porter MUD: $0.515
- Total Tax Rate (before exemptions) $2.711
Porter, Texas Emergency Phone Numbers
- Emergency Numbers Police Department: 281-511-8971
- Fire Deparment: 281-354-6666
- Emergency: 911 Poison Control 281-764-7661
- Medical Facilities Kingwood Medical Center: 281-348-8988
- Northeast Medical Center 281-540-7800
- Local Utility/Service Providers
- Porter MUD (sewer):281-354-9352
- Porter SUD Water: 281-354-5922
- Crystal Springs Water: 281-354-3100
- Embarq (phone): 866-304-6820
- Houston Chronicle: 713-220-7211
- Republic Waste (Trash): 281-446-2030
- Entergy (electric): 800-ENTERGY
Porter, Texas Public Services
- Voter/Automobile Registration 936-539-2227
- Post Office: 281-354-1114
- Tax Office: 281-577-8981
- METRO / Mass Transit: 713-635-4000
Porter, Texas School Information
- Community Schools Ben Branch Elementary: 281-577-8700
- White Oak Middle: 281-577-8800
- New Caney 9th Grade Campus: 281-577-8860
- New Caney High: 281-577-2800
- New Caney ISD: 281-577-8600
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
... So You Can:
- View detailed property information
- Print detailed property flyers
- Save your searches & favorite homes
- Inquire about a private showing
- Map individual property locations
- Share your favorite homes with friends